Home                                Back to Routes page

Schedule of Norwich City stage carriage routes - pre NBC . . .

This schedule details the network of stage carriage bus routes operated in the city of Norwich from the mid 1950s to the mid 1960s by the Eastern Counties Omnibus Company.  Each route is shown in street by street detail.

The majority of these routes were inherited from Norwich Electric Tramways Company Ltd and Norwich Omnibus Company Ltd, the exceptions being routes 13a, 13b and 29a which were inherited from United Automobile Services Ltd (East Anglia area) who also operated the original service between Norwich and Catton Village as service 8.

It is intended to include similarly detailed schedules of the the city services operated in Cambridge and Peterborough in due course.


SERVICE:  13A

First setting down point - Oval Road on outward journey

(WORKED IN CONJUNCTION WITH SERVICE 81 ON RETURN)

FROM:  THORPE STATION (FORECOURT)

TO:  COSTESSEY (CHURCH)

SALOON OR DOUBLE DECK OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM THORPE STATION, VIA PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, BANK PLAIN, REDWELL STREET, ST ANDREWS STREET, CHARING CROSS, ST BENEDICTS STREET, DEREHAM ROAD, NORWICH ROAD, TOWNHOUSE ROAD, THE STREET TO COSTESSEY CHURCH (FOLGATE LANE) TERMINUS

RETURN: AS SERVICE 81 VIA SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE TO THORPE STATION

(Pictured left:  Half cab Bristol L5G saloon LL 711 (KNG 711) with Eastern Coach Works 35 seat rear entrance body was new to Surrey Street depot in July 1950 and is seen here re-creating service 13A to Costessey Church as part of the Norwich Classic Bus Running Day on Sunday, 22nd March 2015 in its 65th year! The bus was the very last 7' 6" wide, 27' 6" long half cab saloon to be withdrawn and served the Company until January 1968)


SERVICE:  13B

First setting down point - Gurney Road on outward journey

(WORKED IN CONJUNCTION WITH SERVICE 81 ON RETURN)

FROM:  THORPE STATION (FORECOURT)

TO:  COSTESSEY (RICHMOND ROAD, POST BOX OR WEST END, FALCON PH OR RINGLAND ROAD JUNCTION)

Certain journeys were extended to Weston Longville (Memorial) via Ringland

SALOON OR DOUBLE DECK OPERATED (SALOON TO WESTON LONGVILLE)

ROUTE:  FROM THORPE STATION VIA PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, BANK PLAIN, REDWELL STREET, ST ANDREWS STREET, CHARING CROSS, ST BENEDICTS STREET, DEREHAM ROAD, TO RICHMOND ROAD (POST BOX) OR VIA LONGWATER LANE, WEST END TO FALCON PH OR TO RINGLAND ROAD JUNCTION TERMINUS

RETURN: AS SERVICE 81 VIA SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE TO THORPE STATION

(Pictured right:  Half cab Bristol L5G saloon LL 711 (KNG 711) with Eastern Coach Works 35 seat rear entrance body was new to Surrey Street depot in July 1950 and is seen here re-creating service 13B to Costessey, Ringland Road junction as part of the Norwich Classic Bus Running Day on Sunday, 22nd March 2015 in its 65th year! The bus was the very last 7' 6" wide, 27' 6" long half cab saloon to be withdrawn and served the Company until January 1968)


SERVICE:  29A

First setting down point - Sweet Briar Road on outward journey

FROM:  THORPE STATION (FORECOURT)

TO:  DRAYTON  (RED LION PH OR CATOR ROAD)

SALOON OR DOUBLE DECK OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM THORPE STATION VIA PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, BANK PLAIN, REDWELL STREET, ST ANDREWS STREET, CHARING CROSS, WESTWICK STREET, STATION ROAD, OAK STREET, ST MARTINS ROAD, DRAYTON ROAD, HELLESDON HALL ROAD, MILL CORNER, HELLESDON  ROAD, HOSPITAL LANE, DRAYTON ROAD, SCHOOL LANE TO RED LION PH OR CATOR ROAD TERMINUS 

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE  

(Pictured left: Bristol KSW5G, LKH 329 (MAH 329) seen here on Thorpe Station forecourt, having arrived from Drayton, was new to Eastern Counties in 1952 and was nineteen years old upon withdrawal in 1971)


SERVICE:  79

FROM:  COLMAN ROAD (THE AVENUES)

TO:  THORPE ST ANDREW (ST ANDREWS HOSPITAL OR POUND LANE, LAUNDRY LANE)

DOUBLE DECK OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM EARLHAM, (THE AVENUES) VIA EARLHAM ROAD, ST GILES STREET, GUILDHALL HILL, MARKET PLACE, BRIGG STREET, RAMPANT HORSE STREET, RED LION STREET, CASTLE MEADOW, PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, THORPE ROAD, YARMOUTH ROAD, TO THORPE ST ANDREWS HOSPITAL TERMINUS OR YARMOUTH ROAD, POUND LANE TO LAUNDRY LANE TERMINUS

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured right: Bristol K5G, LKH 73 (GVF 73) seen here in Thorpe Road, was new to Eastern Counties in 1947 and served the Company until 1967)


SERVICE:  80

FROM:  EARLHAM (FIVEWAYS)

TO:  HARVEY LANE (MORSE AVENUE)

DOUBLE DECK OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM EARLHAM (FIVEWAYS) VIA EARLHAM ROAD, ST GILES STREET, GUILDHALL HILL, MARKET PLACE, BRIGG STREET, RAMPANT HORSE STREET, RED LION STREET, CASTLE MEADOW, PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, THORPE ROAD, HARVEY LANE, TO MORSE AVENUE TERMINUS

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured left: Double deck buses like this Bristol K5G with Eastern Coach Works 56 seat body were once a common sight on the streets of Norwich during the 'Tilling' era.  This fine example, LKH 61 (FNG 823), seen here in Thorpe Road, dates from 1947 and served the Company for 17 years until withdrawal in 1964)


SERVICE:  81

FROM:  THORPE STATION (FORECOURT)

TO:  DEREHAM ROAD (THE OVAL)

DOUBLE DECK OPERATED 

ROUTE:  FROM THORPE STATION FORECOURT VIA PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, BANK PLAIN, ST ANDREWS STREET, ST BENEDICTS STREET, DEREHAM ROAD, NORWICH ROAD, TO OVAL PH FORECOURT TERMINUS

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured right: Bristol K5G, LKH 100 (HPW 100) seen here on Thorpe Station forecourt in the early 1950s, was new to Eastern Counties in 1948 and served the Company until 1968.  Note the side destination indicator above the platform. This feature was abolished in later years when the aperture was panelled over)


SERVICE:  82

(WORKED IN COMBINATION WITH SERVICE 98)

FROM:  NORTH THORPE (LAUNDRY LANE, RING ROAD)

TO:  LAKENHAM (CAVELL ROAD)

DOUBLE DECK OPERATED 

ROUTE:  FROM LAUNDRY LANE (RING ROAD) VIA SOUTH HILL ROAD, SPINNEY ROAD, THUNDER LANE, PLUMSTEAD ROAD EAST, PLUMSTEAD ROAD, KETTS HILL,BISHOP BRIDGE ROAD, RIVERSIDE ROAD, PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, CASTLE MEADOW, RED LION STREET, WESTLEGATE, ALL SAINTS GREEN, QUEENS ROAD, ST CATHERINES PLAIN, CITY ROAD, LONG JOHN HILL, TO CAVELL ROAD (LONG JOHN HILL) TERMINUS

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured left: 56 seater Eastern Coach Works bodied Bristol K5G, LKH 92 (HPW 92) seen here in Castle Meadow, was new to Eastern Counties in 1948 and served the Company until 1967)


SERVICE:  83

FROM:  WEST EARLHAM (WILBERFORCE ROAD, BLAND ROAD)

TO:  TUCKSWOOD ESTATE (FOUNTAINS ROAD)

DOUBLE DECK OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM WILBERFORCE ROAD (BLAND ROAD), VIA MALBROOK ROAD, EARLHAM GREEN LANE (GOOD COMPANIONS PH), BOWTHORPE ROAD, HOTBLACK ROAD, WATERWORKS ROAD, HEIGHAM STREET, WESTWICK STREET, CHARING CROSS, ST ANDREWS STREET, REDWELL STREET, BANK PLAIN, CASTLE MEADOW, RED LION STREET, WESTLEGATE, ALL SAINTS GREEN, GROVE ROAD, TRAFFORD ROAD, CECIL ROAD, HALL ROAD, TO FOUNTAINS ROAD TERMINUS

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured right: 56 seater Eastern Coach Works bodied Bristol K5G, LKH 113 (HPW 113) seen here in Castle Meadow in the mid 1960s, was new to Eastern Counties in 1949 and served the Company until 1968)


SERVICE:  84

(WORKED IN COMBINATION WITH SERVICES 85, 86 & 87)

FROM:  NORTH PARK AVENUE (RUSKIN ROAD)

TO:  HELLESDON (PARK WAY)

DOUBLE DECK OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM NORTH PARK AVENUE (RUSKIN ROAD) VIA BLUEBELL ROAD, THE AVENUES, AVENUE ROAD, PARK LANE, UNTHANK ROAD, ST GILES STREET, GUILDHALL HILL, MARKET PLACE, BRIGG STREET, RAMPANT HORSE STREET, RED LION STREET, CASTLE MEADOW, UPPER KING STREET, TOMBLAND, WENSUM STREET, COLEGATE, DUKE STREET, PITT STREET, ST AUGUSTINES STREET, AYLSHAM ROAD, MILE CROSS,  REEPHAM ROAD, MIDDLETONS LANE, WOODLAND ROAD, TO PARK WAY TERMINUS  

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE TO ST AUGUSTINES STREET, THEN VIA BOTOLPH STREET, MAGDALEN STREET, FYE BRIDGE STREET, WENSUM STREET, TOMBLAND TO UPPER KING STREET AND THEN AS ABOVE ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured left: 56 seater Eastern Coach Works bodied Bristol K5G, LKH 108 (HPW 108) seen here in Castle Meadow in the mid 1960s, was new to Eastern Counties in 1949 and served the Company until 1968)


SERVICE:  85

(WORKED IN COMBINATION WITH SERVICES 84, 86 & 87)

FROM:  SOUTH PARK AVENUE (BLUEBELL ROAD)

TO:  HELLESDON (WINDSOR ROAD)

DOUBLE DECK OPERATED 

ROUTE:  FROM SOUTH PARK AVENUE (BLUEBELL ROAD) VIA COLMAN ROAD, THE AVENUES, AVENUE ROAD, PARK LANE, UNTHANK ROAD, ST GILES STREET, GUILDHALL HILL, MARKET PLACE, BRIGG STREET, RAMPANT HORSE STREET, RED LION STREET, CASTLE MEADOW, UPPER KING STREET, TOMBLAND, WENSUM STREET, COLEGATE, DUKE STREET, PITT STREET, ST AUGUSTINES STREET, AYLSHAM ROAD, MILE CROSS, CROMER ROAD, MIDDLETONS LANE TO WINDSOR ROAD TERMINUS  

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE TO ST AUGUSTINES STREET, THEN VIA BOTOLPH STREET, MAGDALEN STREET, FYE BRIDGE STREET, WENSUM STREET, TOMBLAND TO UPPER KING STREET AND THEN AS ABOVE ROUTE IN REVERSE


SERVICE:  86

(WORKED IN COMBINATION WITH SERVICES 84, 85 & 87)

FROM:  NORTH EARLHAM (MALBROOK ROAD)

TO:  HELLESDON (PARK WAY OR DRAYTON WOOD ROAD)

 DOUBLE DECK OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM MALBROOK ROAD (GOOD COMPANIONS PH) VIA WILBERFORCE ROAD, ROCKINGHAM ROAD, HUTCHINSON ROAD, EARLHAM GREEN LANE, BOWTHORPE ROAD, DEREHAM ROAD, HEIGHAM ROAD, EARLHAM ROAD, ST GILES STREET, GUILDHALL HILL, MARKET PLACE, BRIGG STREET, RAMPANT HORSE STREET, RED LION STREET, CASTLE MEADOW, UPPER KING STREET, TOMBLAND, WENSUM STREET, COLEGATE, DUKE STREET, PITT STREET, ST AUGUSTINES STREET, AYLSHAM ROAD, MILE CROSS, REEPHAM ROAD, THEN MIDDLETONS LANE, WOODLAND ROAD TO PARK WAY TERMINUS, OR REEPHAM ROAD TO DRAYTON WOOD ROAD TERMINUS  

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE TO ST AUGUSTINES STREET, THEN VIA BOTOLPH STREET, MAGDALEN STREET, FYE BRIDGE STREET, WENSUM STREET, TOMBLAND TO UPPER KING STREET AND THEN AS ABOVE ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured right: Bristol KSW5G, LKH 306 (MAH 306) seen here in Castle Meadow, was new to Eastern Counties in 1952 and was eighteen years old upon withdrawal in 1970)


SERVICE:  87

(WORKED IN COMBINATION WITH SERVICES 84, 85 & 86)

FROM:  NORTH EARLHAM (MALBROOK ROAD) OR THORPE STATION

TO:  HELLESDON (WINDSOR ROAD)

 DOUBLE DECK OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM MALBROOK ROAD (GOOD COMPANIONS PH) VIA EARLHAM GREEN LANE, BOWTHORPE ROAD, DEREHAM ROAD, HEIGHAM ROAD, EARLHAM ROAD, ST GILES STREET, GUILDHALL HILL, MARKET PLACE, BRIGG STREET, RAMPANT HORSE STREET, RED LION STREET, TO CASTLE MEADOW OR FROM THORPE STATION FORECOURT VIA PRINCE OF WALES ROAD TO UPPER KING STREET, TOMBLAND, WENSUM STREET, COLEGATE, DUKE STREET, PITT STREET, ST AUGUSTINES STREET, AYLSHAM ROAD, MILE CROSS, CROMER ROAD, MIDDLETONS LANE, TO WINDSOR ROAD TERMINUS  

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE TO ST AUGUSTINES STREET, THEN VIA BOTOLPH STREET, MAGDALEN STREET, FYE BRIDGE STREET, WENSUM STREET, TOMBLAND TO UPPER KING STREET AND THEN AS ABOVE ROUTE IN REVERSE TO NORTH EARLHAM (MALBROOK ROAD) OR TO THORPE STATION FORECOURT VIA PRINCE OF WALES ROAD

  (Pictured left: Bristol KSW5G, LKH 333 (NAH 933) seen here on Thorpe Station forecourt in the mid 1960s, seated 60 passengers and was new to Eastern Counties in 1952. The bus was nineteen years old upon withdrawal in 1971)


SERVICE:  88

FROM:  BUS STATION OR THORPE STATION (FORECOURT)

TO:  DRAYTON ROAD (PARR ROAD)

 DOUBLE DECK OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM BUS STATION VIA QUEENS ROAD, ALL SAINTS GREEN, WESTLEGATE, RED LION STREET, CASTLE MEADOW TO BANK PLAIN OR FROM THORPE STATION VIA PRINCE OF WALES ROAD TO BANK PLAIN, THEN VIA REDWELL STREET, ST ANDREWS STREET, CHARING CROSS, WESTWICK STREET, STATION ROAD, OAK STREET, ST MARTINS ROAD, DRAYTON ROAD, TO PARR ROAD (BIGNOLD ROAD) TERMINUS  

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE TO BANK PLAIN THEN VIA PRINCE OF WALES ROAD TO THORPE STATION FORECOURT OR VIA CASTLE MEADOW, RED LION STREET, WESTLEGATE, ALL SAINTS GREEN, SURREY STREET TO BUS STATION  

(Pictured right: Bristol K5G, LKH 119 (HPW 119) seating 56 passengers, was new to Eastern Counties in 1949 and served the Company until 1967. It is seen here at the top of Surrey Street bus station)


SERVICE:  89

FROM:  UNTHANK ROAD (JUDGES WALK) OR SOUTH PARK AVENUE (COLMAN ROAD)

TO:  WALL ROAD

DOUBLE DECK OPERATED 

ROUTE:  FROM UNTHANK ROAD (JUDGES WALK) VIA UNTHANK ROAD, OR FROM COLMAN ROAD (SOUTH PARK AVENUE) VIA UNTHANK ROAD, ST GILES STREET, GUILDHALL HILL, MARKET PLACE, BRIGG STREET, RAMPANT HORSE STREET, RED LION STREET, CASTLE MEADOW, UPPER KING STREET, TOMBLAND, WENSUM STREET, FYE BRIDGE STREET, MAGDALEN STREET, MAGDALEN ROAD, ST CLEMENTS HILL TO WALL ROAD TERMINUS

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured left: Bristol K5G, LKH 141 (HPW 141) seating 56 passengers, was the penultimate member of the 67 strong HPW registered LKH class vehicle fleet, being new to Eastern Counties in 1949. The bus remained in revenue earning service with the Company for an amazing twenty years before finally being retired with the remaining members of the batch in 1969) 


SERVICE:  90

FROM:  THORPE STATION (FORECOURT)

TO:  CRINGLEFORD (COLNEY LANE OR SCHOOL)

SALOON OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM THORPE STATION FORECOURT VIA PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, CASTLE MEADOW, RED LION STREET, WESTLEGATE, ALL SAINTS GREEN, SURREY STREET, BUS STATION, QUEENS ROAD, ST STEPHENS ROAD, NEWMARKET ROAD, EATON HILL, EATON (CELLAR HOUSE PH), TO CRINGLEFORD (COLNEY LANE) TERMINUS OR CRINGLEFORD, SCHOOL (KESWICK ROAD) TERMINUS

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured right:  Half cab saloons like this Bristol L5G with Eastern Coach Works 35 seat body were once a common sight on the streets of Norwich during the 'Tilling' era.  This fine example, LL 696 (GPW 696) seen here departing from the top of Surrey Street bus station en route to Cringleford, dates from 1948 and served the Company for 18 years until withdrawal in 1966)


SERVICE:  91

FROM:  THORPE STATION (FORECOURT)

TO:  SPROWSTON (BLUE BOAR PH)

 DOUBLE DECK OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM THORPE STATION FORECOURT VIA PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, UPPER KING STREET, TOMBLAND, WENSUM STREET, FYE BRIDGE STREET, MAGDALEN STREET, MAGDALEN ROAD, SPROWSTON ROAD, WROXHAM ROAD TO BLUE BOAR PH TERMINUS

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured left: Bristol K5G, LKH 89 (HPW 89) seating 56 passengers, is seen here on Thorpe Station forecourt. It was new to Eastern Counties in 1948 and served the Company until 1967)


SERVICE:  92

FROM:  HEARTSEASE ESTATE (MARRYAT ROAD OR WITARD ROAD)

TO:  NORTH WALSHAM ROAD (EDWARDS ROAD) OR CITY VIEW ROAD (WHIFFLER PH)

DOUBLE DECK OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM MARRYAT ROAD VIA DELONEY ROAD, RIDER HAGGARD ROAD, HEARTSEASE LANE OR FROM WITARD ROAD VIA PLUMSTEAD ROAD EAST, PLUMSTEAD ROAD, BRITANNIA ROAD, WOLFE ROAD, QUEBEC ROAD, MARION ROAD, HILL HOUSE ROAD, ROSARY ROAD, THORPE ROAD, PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, UPPER KING STREET, TOMBLAND, WENSUM STREET, FYE BRIDGE STREET, MAGDALEN STREET, MAGPIE ROAD, WATERLOO ROAD, ANGEL ROAD, CATTON GROVE ROAD, THEN VIA MILE CROSS LANE, BOUNDARY ROAD TO CITY VIEW ROAD, WHIFFLER PH TERMINUS OR VIA OAK LANE, GEORGE HILL, NORTH WALSHAM ROAD TO EDWARDS ROAD TERMINUS  

RETURN:  FROM CITY VIEW ROAD (WHIFFLER PH) TERMINUS VIA BOUNDARY ROAD, AYLSHAM ROAD, WOODCOCK ROAD TO CATTON GROVE ROAD OR FROM NORTH WALSHAM ROAD (EDWARDS ROAD) TERMINUS VIA GEORGE HILL, OAK LANE TO CATTON GROVE ROAD THEN VIA ANGEL ROAD, WATERLOO ROAD, ST AUGUSTINES STREET, BOTOLPH STREET, MAGDALEN STREET, FYE BRIDGE STREET, WENSUM STREET, TOMBLAND AND THEN VIA SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE TO EITHER HEARTSEASE ESTATE, WITARD ROAD OR HEARTSEASE ESTATE, MARRYAT ROAD

(Pictured right: Bristol K5G, LKH 139 (HPW 139) seating 56 passengers, is seen here in Thorpe Road en route to the Heartsease Estate. It was new to Eastern Counties in 1949 and served the Company for an amazing twenty years!)


SERVICE:  93

FROM:  TROWSE (WHITE HORSE) OR BUS STATION

TO:  SPIXWORTH (LONGE ARMS PH) OR CATTON (LODGE LANE) OR CATTON (LOUIS CLOSE) OR ST FAITHS AERODROME

 DOUBLE DECK OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM TROWSE (WHITE HORSE PH) VIA THE STREET, BRACONDALE, QUEENS ROAD, BUS STATION, ALL SAINTS GREEN, WESTLEGATE, RED LION STREET, CASTLE MEADOW, UPPER KING STREET, TOMBLAND, WENSUM STREET, FYE BRIDGE STREET, MAGDALEN STREET, MAGDALEN ROAD, CONSTITUTION HILL, GEORGE HILL, SPIXWORTH ROAD, CHURCH STREET, ST FAITHS ROAD, FIFERS LANE TO ST FAITHS AERODROME TERMINUS OR VIA ST FAITHS ROAD TO EITHER LOUIS CLOSE TERMINUS OR TO LODGE LANE TERMINUS OR VIA ST FAITHS ROAD, LODGE LANE, SPIXWORTH ROAD, BUXTON ROAD TO SPIXWORTH (LONGE ARMS PH) TERMINUS

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured left: Bristol KSW5G LKH 313 (MAH 313) seating 60 passengers, was new to Eastern Counties in 1952 and was nineteen years old upon withdrawal in 1971. It is seen here in Castle Meadow en route to Trowse)


SERVICE:  94

FROM:  WOODSIDE ESTATE (SALHOUSE ROAD CORNER)

TO:  TUCKSWOOD ESTATE (MAID MARION ROAD OR LOCKSLEY ROAD)

SALOON OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM WOODSIDE ROAD (SALHOUSE ROAD CORNER) VIA PLUMSTEAD ROAD EAST, PLUMSTEAD ROAD, KETTS HILL, BISHOP BRIDGE ROAD, RIVERSIDE ROAD, PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, CASTLE MEADOW, RED LION STREET, WESTLEGATE, ALL SAINTS GREEN, GROVE ROAD, GROVE WALK, CECIL ROAD, IPSWICH ROAD TO MAID MARION ROAD TERMINUS OR VIA IPSWICH ROAD TO TUCKSWOOD (LOCKSLEY ROAD) TERMINUS

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE


SERVICE:  95

FROM:  THORPE END (GREEN)

TO:  TUCKSWOOD ESTATE (MAID MARION ROAD)

SALOON OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM THORPE END (GREEN) VIA PLUMSTEAD ROAD EAST, PLUMSTEAD ROAD, KETTS HILL, BISHOP BRIDGE ROAD, RIVERSIDE ROAD, PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, CASTLE MEADOW, RED LION STREET, WESTLEGATE, ALL SAINTS GREEN, GROVE ROAD, GROVE WALK, CECIL ROAD, IPSWICH ROAD TO TUCKSWOOD (MAID MARION ROAD) TERMINUS

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured left:  Half cab Bristol L5G saloon LL 695 (GPW 695) with Eastern Coach Works 35 seat rear entrance body is seen here in the late 1950s whilst en route to Tuckswood Estate. The bus dates from 1948 and served the Company for 17 years until withdrawal in 1965)


SERVICE:  96

FROM:  LAKENHAM (ASTELL ROAD)

TO:  SPROWSTON (BLUE BOAR PH)

SALOON OPERATED  

ROUTE:  FROM ASTELL ROAD VIA COLEBURN ROAD, SANDY LANE, HALL ROAD, CECIL ROAD, TRAFFORD ROAD, GROVE ROAD, ALL SAINTS GREEN, WESTLEGATE, RED LION STREET, CASTLE MEADOW, UPPER KING STREET, TOMBLAND, PALACE STREET, COWGATE, BARRACK STREET, SILVER ROAD, SPROWSTON ROAD, WROXHAM ROAD TO BLUE BOAR PH TERMINUS

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured right:  Half cab Bristol L5G saloon LL 658 (GPW 658) with Eastern Coach Works 35 seat rear entrance body is seen here in the city centre en route to Lakenham. The bus dates from 1948 and served the Company for 16 years until withdrawal in 1964)


SERVICE:  97

FROM:  HEARTSEASE ESTATE (MARRYAT ROAD) OR MOUSEHOLD LANE (CORBET AVENUE)

TO:  TUCKSWOOD (LOCKSLEY ROAD) OR LAKENHAM (ASTELL ROAD)

SALOON OPERATED 

ROUTE:  FROM MARRYAT ROAD VIA DELONEY ROAD, SALHOUSE ROAD TO MOUSEHOLD LANE OR FROM CORBET AVENUE (MOUSEHOLD LANE) VIA GURNEY ROAD, MOUSEHOLD AVENUE, GERTRUDE ROAD, SILVER ROAD, BARRACK STREET, COWGATE, PALACE STREET, TOMBLAND, UPPER KING STREET, CASTLE MEADOW, RED LION STREET, WESTLEGATE, ALL SAINTS GREEN, GROVE ROAD, IPSWICH ROAD TO LOCKSLEY ROAD TERMINUS OR VIA GROVE ROAD, TRAFFORD ROAD, CECIL ROAD, HALL ROAD, SANDY LANE, COLEBURN ROAD TO ASTELL ROAD TERMINUS

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE


SERVICE:  98

(WORKED IN COMBINATION WITH SERVICE 82)

FROM:  NORTH THORPE (SPINNEY ROAD, SOUTH HILL ROAD)

TO:  LAKENHAM (COOPER LANE, SANDY LANE)

 DOUBLE DECK OPERATED

ROUTE:  FROM NORTH THORPE (SPINNEY ROAD SHOPS) VIA THUNDER LANE, PLUMSTEAD ROAD EAST, PLUMSTEAD ROAD, KETTS HILL, BISHOP BRIDGE ROAD, RIVERSIDE ROAD, PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, CASTLE MEADOW, RED LION STREET, WESTLEGATE, ALL SAINTS GREEN, SURREY STREET, ST CATHERINES PLAIN, HALL ROAD, MANSFIELD LANE, SANDY LANE TO COOPER LANE ESTATE (SANDY LANE) TERMINUS 

RETURN:  SAME ROUTE IN REVERSE

(Pictured right: LKH 106 (HPW 106) seen here in the mid 1960s towards the end of its working life, was one of a large batch of post war HPW registered Bristol K5G buses built in 1948 and 1949. The whole batch saw service with London Transport from new, before being delivered to Eastern Counties in 1950.  LKH 106 served the Company until 1967)


Home                                Back to Routes page